cleaver software mailing list

Text archives Help

[Cleaver] Best way to extract triple and quadruples using Cleaver2?

  • From: Joshua Levine <levinej@clemson.edu>
  • To: "cleaver@sci.utah.edu" <cleaver@sci.utah.edu>
  • Subject: [Cleaver] Best way to extract triple and quadruples using Cleaver2?
  • Date: Fri, 20 May 2016 15:06:40 -0400

Hi,

I tried out Cleaver2 to do this based on a question from a few of the
CGAL guys (Andreas Fabri, Laurent Rineau). They want to compute
triple curves and quadruple points from image data (presumably, to
bake this into CGAL's feature detection for meshing). I suggested
they try out Cleaver.

The bummer is, they tried it out and are getting results like this:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/SCIInstitute/Cleaver2/master/src/gui/Resources/surface.png

Because (I believe) of a couple of things:

(1) the default settings for Cleaver are to use adaptive surface meshing
(2) snapping and warping is enabled.
(3) the interpolation

(Note that with (2), there is supposedly a checkbox to disable
snapsAndWarps(), but it seems like this was never implemented? It was
greyed out for me and I couldn't even select it. This might be a bug
on OSX though).

My approach:

I grabbed the source code and recompiled after manually disabled
snapsAndWarps(), and I switched to uniform grids instead. I was able
to do better, but there is still some puckering near the interface
curves that persists even if you up the resolution of uniform
background grid (see attached screenshot at 2x resolution for the
spheres).

I suspect that ultimately this has to do with our scheme for
interpolation and truncation of the linear functions. I'm curious on
the state of development for this and if anyone is actively working on
extracting these features. It would be handy to add some features
where someone could just output a set of polycurves (e.g. a VTK .vtp
file) with the 1-skeleton of the interface.

I also noticed there's a topologicalCleaving() mode (line 6864 of
CleaverMesher.cpp). Is this exposed through the UI?

Thanks!
Josh