Manta Interactive Ray Tracer Development Mailing List

Text archives Help

Re: [MANTA] Points are no more

  • From: James Bigler <bigler@sci.utah.edu>
  • To: "'manta@sci.utah.edu'" <manta@sci.utah.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [MANTA] Points are no more
  • Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 11:17:16 -0700

Just a quick benchmark comparison:

I ran this (default scene that isn't too complex) and measured fps:

bin/manta -bench 10 10 -ui null -imagedisplay null

On my machine muzzle (Xeon 2.6 GHz) using a bunch of optimization flags:

Before   After     Ratio(After/Before)
2.53613  2.61398   1.031

On fisher using the release flags and ICC

Before   After     Ratio(After/Before)
1.36511  2.0671    1.514

So for at least the stupid ICC compiler, my efforts have paid off. I'll try some other scenes in a bit.

James

James Bigler wrote:
The Point class has been removed. Use Vector now which is no longer templated (hard coded to 3 Reals). Some things that care about Point v Vectors (like AffineTransform) now have special function names to distinguish what kind of operation to do.

PointVector.h has been replaced with Vector.h. The templated version of Vector has been moved to VectorT.h. The VectorT class is much as it was before. All member functions that were called internally have been hand inlined in both Vector and VectorT.

All the code in the tree has been updated, but I didn't compile the sc_demo or some of the volume scenes (although the code was updated, so it should be close).

I haven't ran any benchmarks yet.

Let me know if you have any problems.

Thanks,
James