Manta Interactive Ray Tracer Development Mailing List

Text archives Help

[MANTA] manta portability

  • From: Abe Stephens <abe@sci.utah.edu>
  • To: manta@sci.utah.edu
  • Subject: [MANTA] manta portability
  • Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 14:36:08 -0700

It seems like in the past few weeks a whole bunch of people have started working inside manta again. This is very encouraging but at the same time has stressed the system's portability in several different directions.

For much of last year, manta really only needed to "support" two platforms; sgi linux and whatever James ran at his desk. Now I find myself trying to compile on at least three different os/architectures alone and in general the landscape is a lot less homogeneous. Often performance optimizations on one platform either break or slow down another (One example is gpu's the default opengl display mechanism is very slow on my ATI x600.)

I'd like to do two things, first I want to make a list of all the operating systems/processors/gpu's that people are working on. Then I'd like to add enough logic to Manta's build and initial configuration so that regardless of what platform anyone is running on, they are able to build and just run "bin/manta" and have a working configuration.

Does this sound reasonable to everyone? What platforms (os w/ distro/processor/gpu) are you developing on?

Abe

  • [MANTA] manta portability, Abe Stephens, 05/26/2006