Manta Interactive Ray Tracer Development Mailing List

Text archives Help

Re: [MANTA] loading objects

  • From: Abe Stephens <abe@sci.utah.edu>
  • To: Christian Odom <cnsodom@gmail.com>
  • Cc: manta@sci.utah.edu
  • Subject: Re: [MANTA] loading objects
  • Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2007 12:51:42 -0700

Christian Odom wrote:

Whats the word with the kd-tree build code?

Here is the run down of what (raw) code is available in the repository:
  • KDTree, TransparentKDTree, and SSEKDtree: The builder that we used for the Boeing demos is available if you'd like it. However the code isn't actively maintained or integrated with the rest of the repository. It runs in-core only and uses a very large amount of memory. It isn't integrated with materials, beyond what was necessary for that work. The builder isn't in the repository because there is little interest in maintaining the code.
  • KDTree2 is a slightly newer implementation which I think contains a builder/loader. KDTreeDyn is based on this code, and was supposed to use dynamic techniques available at the time, but wasn't ever completed.
  • DynBVH is a port of the acceleration structure used in the "Ray Tracing Deformable Scenes using Bounding Volume Hierarchies".
  • GriddedGroup, RealisticBVH, etc. are reference implementations, but aren't optimized in any fashion.
The technique used in Ray Tracing Animated Scenes using Coherent Grid Traversal has been ported to Manta. The traversal is patent pending but should be available for use separately.

The animated grid and bvh are the most optimized acceleration structures. I would suggest starting with these and then trying out the original kdtree code if those don't work for some reason.

Abe