Manta Interactive Ray Tracer Development Mailing List

Text archives Help

[Manta] Groups, Acceleration Structures and Instances???

  • From: Dirk Reiners <reiners@cacs.louisiana.edu>
  • To: manta@sci.utah.edu
  • Subject: [Manta] Groups, Acceleration Structures and Instances???
  • Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 17:23:06 -0500

        Hi All,

I'm trying to do some instancing to duplicate a model that we loaded, and I'm getting some weird performance problems.

The basis is the triangle scene viewer. I would like to take the loaded object, create a bunch of translated/rotated/scaled instances and show all of them together. I looked at the primtest, which does something similar, and it seemed pretty straightforward.

To test it I just added a new Group, added the loaded Mesh to that, and push_backed this group to the keyframe animation instead of the loaded Mesh itself. The result was a performance drop by a factor of 40.

Does anybody have an explanation for that? My impression is that the DynBVH is not kicking in, but I couldn't see anything about how to add a DynBVH to a group. What is the correct way of doing this? I'm really confused about the fact that the AccelerationStructure is part of the keyframe animation, and that there doesn't seem to be any other place to put one. Can somebody give me a quick intro about how the graph, the Keyframe anim and the AS play together?

Thanks

        Dirk