Manta Interactive Ray Tracer Development Mailing List

Text archives Help

Re: [Manta] Reflections with Obj Files

  • From: Thiago Ize <thiago@cs.utah.edu>
  • To: John Kichury <jjk@sgi.com>
  • Cc: manta@sci.utah.edu
  • Subject: Re: [Manta] Reflections with Obj Files
  • Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 10:42:07 -0600

I believe reflection is handled by 'r' in an mtl file. For reflections to occur you need to have an "Ns" so that manta knows to use the phong material and not lambertian (lambertian doesn't do reflections) and the 'r' to specify the amount of reflection.

For instance:

newmtl Yellow208
Ns 92.156863
Ka 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000
Kd 0.521600 0.577280 0.286080
Ks 0.250000 0.250000 0.250000
d 1.000000
r 0.4     ---- this is the important part.

Thiago

John Kichury wrote:
Hi,

Is it possible for Manta to render reflections when using obj files?
I tried increasing the material property values such as specular and
shininess in the material library file which didn't affect reflections.

Thanks,

John

J o h n   K i c h u r y
Principal Systems Engineer, SGI