Manta Interactive Ray Tracer Development Mailing List

Text archives Help

Re: [Manta] missing 1/pi in area light code?

  • From: Peter Shirley <shirley@cs.utah.edu>
  • To: "manta@sci.utah.edu" <manta@sci.utah.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [Manta] missing 1/pi in area light code?
  • Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2007 13:29:32 -0700

Ahh. I think I follow you. The missing 1/pi is from the entire equation so it is Lambertian that is amiss? Will
all materials have an analogous problem?

Attached is the image with the emitted light color being 0.333 and a Lambertian sphere with R=1. So the top
of the sphere should tend toward 0.333 but instead goes to something around 3x that. (the cruft near the top
is not a bug-- uniform area sampling just has high variance when the cosine terms are ignored by the pdf)

Pete

PS-- Merry Christmas POV style: http://hof.povray.org/ChristmasBaubles.html

Solomon Boulos wrote:
I disagree. Look at parallelogram in combination with arealight. Also lambertian happens to not include a division by pi but this is a separate issue.