Manta Interactive Ray Tracer Development Mailing List

Text archives Help

[Manta] importance and path tracing

  • From: Thiago Ize <thiago@cs.utah.edu>
  • To: "'manta@sci.utah.edu'" <manta@sci.utah.edu>
  • Subject: [Manta] importance and path tracing
  • Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 12:00:50 -0600

Is there a reason for why the total_attenuation in the KajiyaPathtracer isn't just folded into the importance variable of RayPacket? Looking at the code where importance is used, it seems the only possible conflict is with attenuated shadows in HardShadows.cc. And even there I'm not sure if it would even cause much of a problem (it might even be correct). The other places where importance is used (phong, dieletric, and other materials) wouldn't cause problems since those code paths aren't used with the path tracer. Doing this would let me get access to the amount of attenuation a ray has undergone, which is useful in one of my projects.

Thiago

  • [Manta] importance and path tracing, Thiago Ize, 05/26/2008