Manta Interactive Ray Tracer Development Mailing List

Text archives Help

[Manta] Re: Fwd: Re: simple Manta data question

  • From: Kaveh Rassoulzadegan < >
  • To: Thiago Ize < >
  • Cc: , Carson Brownlee < >
  • Subject: [Manta] Re: Fwd: Re: simple Manta data question
  • Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 07:59:41 +0200

Dear Thiago,

Thank you again for your precious time, I understand much better why I am stuck, with the help of your inputs.

Even without a windows rendering framework, I wanted to see if I could use manta core to render the image in a target texture, but was not sure about the minimum manta libs needed to do that.

By each piece as a smaller BVH, you probably mean some kind of "bricks" paging/caching mechanism. Thank you for the explanation, I know better understand what those bricks are (thanks to this sentence : "...all the triangles into memory in order for the acceleration structures to work..."). I was not understanding how to access "parts" of the acceleration structure.

My principal limitation is that I would like it to run on a PS3(256Mb - ~70Mb of other stuff + 256 Mb of GPU's), through SPU job queues and thread pools on commodity PC cores. I can do that quite all right with 2D height fields but I am heavily struggling on a suitable 3D caves strategy (hesitating between mesh reconstruction / contouring or maybe DVR). The massive mesh / data is coming from sampling off-line a multi-octave noise function for a terrain that I would like to be able to alter / destroy later on. I believe I can deduce materials based on various criteria's, at run-time so only store volume info in such structures.

Much thanks again for your precious directions.

Kindest regards,
Kaveh