SCI Map3d User List

Text archives Help

[MAP3D-USERS] Re: How to delete a triangle element

  • From: Dafang Wang <dfwang@sci.utah.edu>
  • Cc: map3d-users@sci.utah.edu
  • Subject: [MAP3D-USERS] Re: How to delete a triangle element
  • Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 16:11:31 -0700

Hi Shibaji,

Thanks very much for your advice. I figured out that triangle deletion works only when you're clicking one element. This means the mesh cannot overlap. For instance, when a closed surface mesh is considered, one mouse click normally hits 2 triangles -- one in the foreside, which you see, and another in the back side.

To handle this, you need to turn on clipping planes to convert the closed mesh into a semi-open mesh, so that each mouse click hits only one element, the exact one you see on the screen.

Cheers,
Dafang

Shibaji Shome wrote:
Dafang,

Are you sure you are clicking on the element, I've used this feature
during my graduate work (which was over 2 years ago so I dont know if
they broke something) and it does work. However, in my experience due
to the orientation of the mesh and overlapping of mesh lines it may
appear that you are clicking on the triangle of interest but in
reality you are not. Try to center the mesh on the element you want to
delete and zoom in so you are clicking on the element of interest.

Regards,
Shibaji