[SCIRUN-USERS] applying scirun to plasma physics?

  • From: Paulo Tribolet Abreu <paulotex@gmx.net>
  • To: scirun-users@sci.utah.edu
  • Subject: [SCIRUN-USERS] applying scirun to plasma physics?
  • Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 19:12:23 +0000

Hi:

I work in GoLP, a research group in plasma physics:
http://cfp.ist.utl.pt/golp/epp/epp.html

We have 40CPU G4 cluster with 22.6GB RAM where most of the time we run massivelly parallel simulations of high intensity laser-plasma interactions using these two codes: osiris.framework and dcomet. You can read a short introduction to osiris here:
http://cfp.ist.utl.pt/golp/epp/osiris/intro/index.html

We are very interested in having a good visualization process integrated in our simulations. While doing some research on the internet about this subject, I found scirun. I noticed it is specially for medical visualization. However, the general introduction (chapters 2.1 and 2.2 of the user manual) shows that the original motivation of scirun is just what we are looking for: to create a single, unified, extensible problem solving environment.

So, I really have some general questions:

* Do you know of efforts to use scirun to solve similar simulation problems like ours? If there are none, do you think it is feasible to create modules or in any other way to expand scirun so that it can integrate with our code -- it is in Fortran90 -- so that we have a smooth problem solving environment?

* How does scirun work on dual processor machines? Can scirun work in parallel, in a cluster enviroment, specially the visualisation modules?

* We will upgrade to G5s in the next few months (probably until Summer). I noticed that "SCIRun has not been tested on G5". However, do you expect the port to be problematic? Have you had any reports of people trying to use scigrid on a G5?

Thanks (and now I'll go back to chapter 4 of the tutorial (-: )

Paulo