[SCIRUN-USERS] SCIRun/BioPSE Version 1.24.1 (Stable Release) Now Available!

  • From: David Weinstein <dmw@sci.utah.edu>
  • To: scirun-users@sci.utah.edu
  • Cc: SCI List <sci@sci.utah.edu>, ncrr-eab@sci.utah.edu
  • Subject: [SCIRUN-USERS] SCIRun/BioPSE Version 1.24.1 (Stable Release) Now Available!
  • Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 10:32:04 -0700

Dear SCIRun-Users,

We have just completed a new major release of SCIRun/BioPSE (version 1.24.1)!

Thanks to everyone for their feedback on the 1.24.0-beta pre-release. Based on your suggestions, we fixed important bugs over the past few weeks, and we added many great new features as well.

As I mentioned in my pre-release announcement in February, this version of SCIRun/BioPSE contains a new PowerApp called "BioImage" for the processing and visualization of medical image volumes. With BioImage users can directly load a variety of native data formats (e.g. DICOM, Analyze, VFF, NRRD, PICT) and can apply processing algorithms to specify and enhance regions of interest within the volume (e.g. cropping, resampling, histogram equalization, median filtering, contrast / brightness). The BioImage visual interface allows users to interact with their data both in 2D "slice views" (powered by the new ViewSlices module), as well as in a full 3D "volume rendering view" (powered by our new high-performance volume rendering modules). Users can seamlessly move between the 2D and 3D views to precisely control how different features of their data are displayed, and to gain both quantitative and qualitative insights. All of these features are described in detail in our new BioImage tutorial:

http://software.sci.utah.edu/doc/User/Tutorials/BioImage/bioimage.html

In addition to BioImage (and the new volume rendering and slice-viewing modules that drive it), we have made numerous improvements to SCIRun/BioPSE in version 1.24 -- for more information about what's new in this release, please see our Release Highlights page:
http://software.sci.utah.edu/scirun_1_24.html

As always, our software is available from the SCI Institute's Software download page:
http://software.sci.utah.edu/archive_entry.html

For this release we have made source code available, as well as RPMs for Linux (Mandrake 9.x and RedHat 9.x), and a new binary distribution for Mac OSX 10.3. For information on installing SCIRun, please see the platform-specific Installation Guides at the top left of this page:
http://software.sci.utah.edu/doc/

[Note: if you are installing SCIRun from source on a Mac and you plan to enable the Insight Package (ITK 2.0), you will need to download and install the gcc 3.3 update that Apple posted to their Developer Connection web site last November.]

If you have any questions, please feel free to send me email. You can also email scirun-users@sci.utah.edu with general SCIRun questions or scirun-develop@sci.utah.edu with any specific problems you encounter.

We hope you enjoy SCIRun/BioPSE 1.24.1!

Sincerely,
David Weinstein

NCRR Technical Manager
SCI Institute, University of Utah

  • [SCIRUN-USERS] SCIRun/BioPSE Version 1.24.1 (Stable Release) Now Available!, David Weinstein, 03/17/2005