[SCIRUN-USERS] How to start SCIRun as a batch job?

  • From: Siu-Man Yau <smyau@courant.nyu.edu>
  • To: scirun-users@sci.utah.edu, "Steven G. Parker" <sparker@cs.utah.edu>
  • Cc: eitan@cs.columbia.edu, Vijay Karamcheti <vijayk@cs.nyu.edu>, Denis Zorin <dzorin@mrl.nyu.edu>
  • Subject: [SCIRUN-USERS] How to start SCIRun as a batch job?
  • Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 22:16:38 -0400 (EDT)

Prof. Parker, SCIRun Developers,

I've been porting SCIRun onto a Linux powerpc cluster, with the goal to integrate it with a system I'm developing that supports interactive exploration parameter space. We plan to spawn multiple scirun processes on a cluster and steer them via our system.

The version I'm working with is a snapshop of the development version, 1.25.2.2, and I've managed to port it onto the powerpc, and our system can manage multiple scirun processes running on the front end of the cluster. However, in order to spawn the scirun processes onto the compute nodes of the cluster, they need to be run in batch mode. From reading the SCIRun documentation, it looks possible, but I can't find how.

Basically, I want to be able to start a SCIRun process that just executes a net and does not show any gui. I see that there is an environment variable SCIRUN_NOGUI which will disable the workflow editor, but if I used it with the -e option to execute a net, the net isn't executed. I'm wondering if the flag is what I need? Or is there some other machanism that allows a SCIRun net to be executed in batch mode?

Thanks,

- Simon