[SCIRUN-USERS] Calculating the overlap volume of two TetVolMeshes

  • From: Layla Houshmand <layla.houshmand@gmail.com>
  • To: scirun-users@sci.utah.edu
  • Subject: [SCIRUN-USERS] Calculating the overlap volume of two TetVolMeshes
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 18:00:25 -0400

Hi Everyone,

I'm having difficulty calculating the volume overlap between two TetVolMeshes in SCIRun4.7. A screenshot of my intersection calculation method is attached, along with examples of some volume overlaps.

What I'm finding is that SCIRun underestimates the overlap volume when using ClipFieldtoFieldorWidget (see attached for what I do in the UI). The attached pictures show a red TetVol that lies entirely within a pink TetVol (I rotated the image to be sure of that). However, the overlap volume (peach) is clearly too small. Using ReportFieldInfo, the Red TetVol has a volume of 57 mm^3, but the peach overlap volume has a volume of 35 mm^3, when it should be 57 mm^3.

Any ideas on what to do? Is there a better method for this? I'm ultimately trying to calculate the % of the Red TetVol that lies within the Pink TetVol.

Thanks!
Layla

--
Layla Houshmand, Ph.D. Candidate
Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Michigan