Re: [SCIRUN-USERS] Total current going through the TDCS Mickey Mouse model

  • From: Tomasz Moszkowski <tmoszkowski@gmail.com>
  • To: Jess Tate <jess@sci.utah.edu>
  • Cc: "scirun-users@sci.utah.edu" <scirun-users@sci.utah.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [SCIRUN-USERS] Total current going through the TDCS Mickey Mouse model
  • Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2016 13:39:00 +0000

Hello Tate,

thank you very much for your reply! Exactly how you described it, the values that I received were varied greatly depending on where the plane was situated. Basically the further from each electrode I got, the smaller the measured current. The closer to one of the electrodes, the greater the amount of current (it got pretty close to the set value of 2 A). I think I know what the problem is: basically if you map your current density onto the elements of a plane, sometimes the geometry of the plane does not change (for very small changes in comparison with the resolution of the mesh) but the interpolated current values do. Because the area of each element stays the same, the resulting current is different. At first I extracted an isosurface from a separate mesh that was the size of the original mesh but with a higher resolution. I think that the mapped values got somehow duplicated because of the difference in resolutions of both meshes thus yielding different current values. Also, if one varies the resolution of the mesh, the measured current also varies greatly. Thus I guess that in order to solve this, one should measure the current close to one of the electrodes (of course, as you said, making sure that the plane separates the sinks from the sources and does not coincide with the electrode). I guess that this is not the best way to validate the accuracy of your model, since it depends on many factors: resolution, mapping method etc.

A comment on the selection of the plane: I tried several methods to pick a proper plane out. The first is to simply get a plane located between the source and the sink making sure that it is parallel to one of the planes of the reference system and map only the component of the current density which is perpendicular to this plane. Another way was to pick any plane and project the current density onto the plane normal. The third way was to pick an isosurface of the electric potential and map the magnitude of the current density onto this surface (the isosurfaces of a field are surfaces with equal value of the field and thus the gradient of the field is normal to every point on the isosurface. One does not need to project the values, just get the field magnitude). Of course all of these methods are prone to error of the mesh resolution and the mapping method.

I guess that the most accurate method of measuring current is the one I mentioned earlier: verifying that the TDCS matrix multiplied by the solution vector yields the RHS vector and the set current values.

THank you very much for your help! If I try other methods of measuring current inside the model (e.g. from calculating the total power dissipation inside the model), I will let you know of the results! In the meantime I wish you all a great weekend.

All the best,
Tomasz Moszkowski