Re: [SCIRUN-USERS] Regarding Magnetic field simulation

  • From: Moritz Dannhauer <moritz@sci.utah.edu>
  • To: Petar Petrov <pip010@gmail.com>
  • Cc: Jess <jess@sci.utah.edu>, Vikas R bhat <vikasraghubhat@gmail.com>, "scirun-users@sci.utah.edu" <scirun-users@sci.utah.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [SCIRUN-USERS] Regarding Magnetic field simulation
  • Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2017 16:57:58 -0400

Hi Petar, I remember talking to you at BACI 2015.

From my understanding the module SimulateForwardMagnetic is ill suited for TMS. Maybe I am missing something. I looked before in the example for brain-stimulation but not really convinced you are doing it right.
The approach is based upon the work of Thielscher et al. which ultimately led to the SIMNIBS toolbox which I validated against.

Also, no such thing as primary current and secondary current.
Thats not how electricity works, you can have multiple fields that lead to 1 current only, though complex in the case of volume conductance.
You are right in the way that primary and secondary fields (e.g., Nummenmaa et al., 2013) are the dominant indicators for the effects for TMS,
 however, these fields induce currents in tissue. I guess my initial thinking of it as currents might be due to my background which is electrophysiology (+tES)
and magnetoencephalography - I will correct that in the documentation together with a complete update of the brain stimulation framework.

Further, in the case of TMS, you dont care about J but E, unlike tDCS. Biologically TMS polarizes neurons (most likely pyramidal cells) directly, while tDCS changes the intra-cellar properties through injected currents. Thus TMS is a stimulator and modulator while tDCS is only modulator.
I think its fair to say that this is subject to research.

Further, the claim that "The computation of secondary currents by solving the FEM
problem is rather time consuming and computer simulations have shown that its impact is
rather small (compared to primary currents) on the current density J."
Have not checked Js, again cause irrelevant, but this is simply NOT true for E-fields. Anything further than 2cm from the hotspot in fact the secondary field becomes dominant !
It has been shown that you can excite the WM directly with TMS that is further/deeper than the hotspot of figure-8 coils.
Ok, up to now the simulations have not shown that, which goes along with what has been published in the literature (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19458407).

I have developed my own TMS modules (1 for generation of geometry via wires and 2nd to sovle the vector potential using BiotSavart). In principle instead of wires you can use dipoles too.
The coil models are modeled by dipoles taken from Thielscher et al. 2002, 2004.

There I introduce the complete vector potential from the coil on each node of the mesh, not sure why you use ROI, you should not IMO. To derive the RHS for FEM I combine the output of BuilVolRHS + BuildSurfRHS.
Thats correct and part of a more complete network simulate TMS I had in SCIRun4 where not all components (e.g., BuildSurfRHS) are available in SCIRun5 yet.

I need to dig a bit more, maybe compare with my results vs yours, then come back to you.
That would be great and I appreciate your help very much to improve it, thanks!

Best,
Moritz

[...]

Cheers,
Petar