[Seg3D] adding the Spline Tool to the official Seg3D

  • From: Ramón Casero Cañas <ramon.casero@comlab.ox.ac.uk>
  • To: seg3d@sci.utah.edu
  • Subject: [Seg3D] adding the Spline Tool to the official Seg3D
  • Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 01:57:04 +0000

Hi all,

Would you guys consider adding the Spline Tool to Seg3D? That way, it will evolve with whatever changes you make (especially the new architecture), and I won't have to be updating the patches to match the new code.

I think the answer is going to be "sorry, but no" for four reasons: ;)

1) The Spline Tool introduces a dependency to Qt. Qt is large and requires a lot of compilation, so it wouldn't be practical to distribute it with Seg3D

2) As pointed out in the mailing list, there seems to be some kind of incompatibility between X11 and Qt, so I had to add a small hack to get the program to compile

https://lists.sci.utah.edu/sympa/arc/seg3d/2009-10/msg00023.html

3) As Rob has pointed out in the list, there's going to be a major rewriting of the application, and "support for adding new features will be very limited",s o I don't think you are going to be super enthusiastic about adding a new tool to the old version

https://lists.sci.utah.edu/sympa/arc/seg3d/2009-10/msg00005.html

4) I'm not a software developer, so even though I have tried to follow the current code style, and do things as clean as possible, my code may not be that great.

Still, are these workable difficulties? Has somebody tried the latest patch and has some feedback?

http://paracommunications.org/wiki/index.php/Adding_a_new_filter_to_Seg3D#Milestones

Best regards,

Ramon.

--
Dr. Ramón Casero Cañas

Computational Biology, Computing Laboratory
University of Oxford
Wolfson Building, Parks Rd
Oxford OX1 3QD

tlf     +44 (0) 1865 610807
web     http://web.comlab.ox.ac.uk/people/Ramon.CaseroCanas
photos  http://www.flickr.com/photos/rcasero/

  • [Seg3D] adding the Spline Tool to the official Seg3D, Ramón Casero Cañas, 10/27/2009