[Seg3D] need Seg3D usage information for new NIH grant proposal

  • From: David Weinstein <dmw@sci.utah.edu>
  • To: seg3d@sci.utah.edu
  • Subject: [Seg3D] need Seg3D usage information for new NIH grant proposal
  • Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 11:39:28 -0600

Dear Seg3D Users,

We are writing a new NIH grant proposal to fund additional Seg3D maintenance and development, and we need updated data on how Seg3D is being used in the biomedical community.  We would very much appreciate it if you could take a moment to fill in the blanks below.  (To minimize list traffic, please reply just to me, not the whole list.)

   Your name and affiliation: ________________________
   Brief description of your biomedical project(s) that use Seg3D:________________________
      NIH grant number(s), if applicable:_____________
   Have you upgraded to Seg3D Version 2 (released in January, 2011)?_____
   Brief description of how you're using Seg3D in above project(s):________________________

While you're thinking about it, please send in your reply now -- before you get too busy or forget.  At the very latest, we need all replies by May 9th.

This new proposal is about managing segmentation complexity.  If funded, we will be adding large data (space and time) support to Seg3D, creating a client/server framework for off-loading computationally expensive processing, and adding accelerated exploration features to streamline the process of creating new segmentation "recipes".  If your data is too big, the filters you want to run are too computationally expensive, or you're finding that creating novel segmentation protocols is too time-consuming, then this new functionality is for you!  Please let us know how these new capabilities would help accelerate your science or enable you to pursue new scientific projects: _______________________________

This is also a great time to send us feedback.  Are there other new features you'd like to see added into Seg3D?  You have our attention -- fire away!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers,
Dave

David Weinstein
NIH-NCRR Center for Integrative Biomedical Computing (CIBC)
Scientific Computing and Imaging (SCI) Institute
University of Utah