[Seg3D] Video cards for Seg3D2

  • From: Ramón Casero Cañas <rcasero@gmail.com>
  • To: "seg3d@sci.utah.edu" <seg3d@sci.utah.edu>
  • Subject: [Seg3D] Video cards for Seg3D2
  • Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2013 22:06:09 +0100

Dear all,

We are considering buying a laptop, and I'd like to ask for advice on the graphics card we need to visualize isosurfaces on Seg3D.

Currently, we have a desktop with an nVidia Quadro 2000 (1GB of GDDR5 RAM).  The desktop has 16 GB of RAM. We can load a segmentation that occupies part of a 600 x 650 x 2048 volume on Seg3D, and visualize the isosurface, rotate, shift, zoom in and out, etc in real time.

Laptops will have lower specs, but I'm trying to figure out whether they'll be enough to connect remotely to Seg3D2 running on the desktop or even to directly run Seg3D2.

Does anybody have any experience with a Dell XPS 12 Dual Ultrabook running Seg3D2 on linux?

It has 8 GB of RAM, and an Intel HD 4400 graphics card, with shared memory.

Going for higher specs, there's Alienware 14, much bigger, but this one comes with an NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 1GB GDDR5

Any thoughts appreciated!

Best regards,

Ramon.

--
Dr. Ramón Casero Cañas

Oxford e-Research Centre (OeRC)
University of Oxford
7 Keble Rd
Oxford OX1 3QG

tlf     +44 (0) 1865 610739
web     http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/people/Ramon.CaseroCanas
photos  http://www.flickr.com/photos/rcasero/

  • [Seg3D] Video cards for Seg3D2, Ramón Casero Cañas, 10/23/2013