Re: [Seg3D] Smoothing Isosurfaces after Segmentation

  • From: Jess Tate <jess@sci.utah.edu>
  • To: DANIEL PFEIFFER-KELLY <dmp5444@psu.edu>
  • Cc: seg3d@sci.utah.edu
  • Subject: Re: [Seg3D] Smoothing Isosurfaces after Segmentation
  • Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2016 11:59:23 -0600

Hi Daniel,

Paul's suggestion is a good one, as MeshLab does have more mesh manipulation tools than SCIRun.  I would like to add that Seg3D will export isosurfaces as stl files, which MeshLab should be able to read.

SCIRun can also probably do what you need.  To get your isosurface into SCIRun, the ascii or stl format is better.  Even better still is to save out your segmentation as a nrrd and load that into SCIRun and make an Isosurface there (GetDomainBoundary or Extract(Simple)Isosurface).  You can use fairmesh to smooth your Isosurfaces, and as long as they do not overlap in your segmentation (they will need at least full pixel in between boundaries, even diagonally.), then the isosurfaces will not overlap.  However, fairmesh does not guarantee any sort of quality of elements, so the result may not be useful for computation.  It can help you make better meshes with distance maps though.

You can consider using some meshing tools we have too.  Cleaver will make multimaterial volume meshes, but you can use getDomainboundary to get the boundary surfaces.

Another tip is that most meshing tools that go from segmentation to mesh can fail easily with thin structures, but using higher resolutions (use the resample tool in seg3d) can help, though it will increase the computation cost significantly.  Or by you can try meshing the regions independently, which you may have tried already.

Let me know if you need more info on any of these steps.

cheers,
Jess