Re: [Seg3D] Contact CIBC Submission

  • From: Jess <jess@sci.utah.edu>
  • To: kelly.nicol@icahn.mssm.edu, seg3d@sci.utah.edu
  • Cc: Rob MacLeod <macleod@sci.utah.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [Seg3D] Contact CIBC Submission
  • Date: Thu, 4 May 2017 10:58:20 -0600

Hi Kelly,

It depends on the kind of problems the mesh has.  Seg3D, and most other isosurfacing software, use a marching cubes algorithm, which doesn’t guarantee any element quality of the resulting mesh.  I suspect this is what you are seeing, as the algorithm will generate acceptable elements for the most part, but sometimes not. If you are seeing other problems, such as overlapping elements or mesh errors.
SCIRun and MeshLab have tools to analyze mesh quality and fix them.

cheers,
Jess