cleaver software mailing list

Text archives Help

Re: [Cleaver] test

  • From: Petar Petrov <pip010@gmail.com>
  • To: Jonathan Bronson <bronson@sci.utah.edu>
  • Cc: cleaver@sci.utah.edu, Moritz Dannhauer <moritz@sci.utah.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [Cleaver] test
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2017 13:59:14 +0100

Hi Jonathan,

cc Moritz

I am a PhD student who is using the Cleaver2 on both rats&humans head models.
Planning to improve upon and share back. For now I am cleaning abit the code base and switching to modern c++11/14.
There are plenty of TODO type comments around. Also there seems to be some mem-leaks I am investigating now.
The problem is that cleaver2 sucks alot of RAM, making it not practical to fetch big volumes. I do manage to produce meshes but only after running it on a cluster machine where each node has around 64GB RAM.

On another notice, I am also planning into getting back to BioMesh3D, which had the other problem (running too slow) the particle optimization step was taking months !!!

So just to summarize: Cleaver2 is RAM bound while BioMesh3D is CPU bound. The quality of surfaces in BioMesh3D is better than cleaver2, which however has stronger tet-quality guarantees. Also Cleaver2 tend to generate ~ 20-30% more elements than BioMesh3D.

Have you been involved in the creation of BioMesh3D too? If not, do you know who I can contact.

Anyway, let's try to keep in touch. What is best channel to communicate? How about a quick skype anytime soon?

Looking forward to collaborating with you,
cheers Petar