cleaver software mailing list

Text archives Help

Re: [Cleaver] test

  • From: "Jonathan Bronson" <bronson@sci.utah.edu>
  • To: "Petar Petrov" <pip010@gmail.com>
  • Cc: <cleaver@sci.utah.edu>, "Moritz Dannhauer" <moritz@sci.utah.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [Cleaver] test
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2017 10:02:42 -0700

Hi Petar,

This is exciting to hear! My original intent was to maximize
compatibility of Cleaver source code on as many systems as possible.
Since that time, the support for and community efforts around c++11/14
have been tremendous. So I'm all for making use of it and its modern features.

The high RAM usage in Cleaver is primarily due to the current implementation
using an in-memory meshing strategy. The input volumes and these meshes themselves,
can be quite large. And the adjacency information computed and stored for performing
the core cleaver operations multiples that.

I've prototyped a streaming version of cleaver (in 2d) that only keeps a small wave front
of the mesh in memory, serializing finalized tetrahedra to disk as they are ready. It uses
substantially less memory and is also more cache coherent, making it run faster. I think that's
the right direction to go for running on standard desktops, but I don't have the bandwidth to
work on that at this time.

I wasn't involved in the BioMesh3D development, so I can't speak too much on that. Your breakdown
sounds more or less right to me. Perhaps Moritz can be of more assistance with BioMesh3D?

Feel free to reach out to me at bronson@sci.utah.edu to chat more about.

Cheers,
Jonathan

On Mon, 30 Jan 2017 13:59:14 +0100