Manta Interactive Ray Tracer Development Mailing List

Text archives Help

[MANTA] How to implement headlight?

  • From: Abe Stephens <abe@sci.utah.edu>
  • To: "'manta@sci.utah.edu'" <manta@sci.utah.edu>
  • Subject: [MANTA] How to implement headlight?
  • Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 18:13:28 -0700

Hi,
I'd like to implement a headlight, but it looks like the current Light interface does not have any context information during rendering. I was hoping that the getCenter() method could look into some sort of context object and return the camera position (or an offset from the camera position) however getCenter() doesn't take any arguments (also I'm not sure how a soft-shadow-light would use a per thread random number generator without access to some context. Next I thought maybe that there was another method that was called per frame, but it doesn't look like this is the case.

Any idea how to accomplish this with the framework as it stands?

Abe