Manta Interactive Ray Tracer Development Mailing List

Text archives Help

Re: [MANTA] How to implement headlight?

  • From: Abe Stephens <abe@sci.utah.edu>
  • To: "'manta@sci.utah.edu'" <manta@sci.utah.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [MANTA] How to implement headlight?
  • Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 19:00:00 -0700

Steven Parker wrote:

This is a dark alley. I had put the getCenter() method in as a placeholder, but something else should be done.

Perhaps we can just pass some sort of context in with the getCenter methods?

I will point out that shadow rays do not need to be cast for primary rays and headlights. That should be thought through as well.

This is true for the case that the headlight has the same position as the camera position, but if it is offset, shadows might be visible. I think in most cases, we are trying to light the scene and cast some shadows to enhance (doom3 excluded) the user's navigation through the model, so the no-shadow case will be very rare.

Fixed light sources don't work particularly well since most of the interesting stuff is on the inside of closed surfaces but I expect the shadows will help a lot.

Abe