Manta Interactive Ray Tracer Development Mailing List

Text archives Help

[Manta] MANTA and CSG definition

  • From: "LEGRAND Herve (OPEN CASCADE)" < >
  • To: < >
  • Subject: [Manta] MANTA and CSG definition
  • Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 10:30:06 +0200

Dear Sir,

We are an IT company in France. We develop and maintain the Open Source platform Open Cascade and Salome:

We also develop technical application based on these platforms or on other products for industrial companies mainly in France and in Europe.

We are currently involved in a project which requires ray-tracing visualisation and we are considering using MANTA
Our goal is to visualize CSG models i.e. a geometric model defined as a hieararchical set of primitives and boolean (plus, minus, union) operation between these primitives. For many reasons we need to have a direct visualisation of this CSG definition and not of its boundaray definition which is not available.

As far as we have understood during our brief analysis of MANTA, MANTA does not support currently visualisation of CSG definition. While primitives exists, some operators (e.g. Difference) are not yet implemented.

We would appreciate if you could confirm our analysis.

If this is confirmed do you have any plan or any on going project which aim to support CSG visualization?

We have some experience in this area : we have developed a small prototype implementing ray tracing on CSG and we may decide to implement these missing operators in MANTA by ourselves, in this eventuallity, is there some information you could give us, do you have already an idea of the amount of work necessary to implement these operators?

Please, be sure that any feed back will be very appreciated.

With my best regards,

Hervé Legrand

--
Hervé Legrand