Re: [SCIRUN-USERS] How to use electrodes

  • From: David Weinstein <dmw@sci.utah.edu>
  • To: Grégoire Walckiers <gregoire.walckiers@epfl.ch>
  • Cc: scirun-users@sci.utah.edu
  • Subject: Re: [SCIRUN-USERS] How to use electrodes
  • Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 00:44:13 -0600

Hi Gregoire,

We are in the process of making the BioPSE electrodes much more general and easier to use. At the moment, there are two electrode models that are well supported in BioPSE:

1) dipole sources (as exemplified in the forward-fem.net example and the Tutorial)

2) point sources (located at mesh nodes)

Point sources are used to set the potential at a particular location in the mesh. As an example of this, I am including a SCIRun network that creates seven +1V sources and seven -1V sources spread randomly through the Utah Torso, and then solves an FEM simulation and visualizes the results. Here's the network:

Note that by pressing the Execute button on the SampleField modules, you can create new source configurations and solutions. I should also note that currently we only support potential sources located at the nodes of the mesh (if a source is placed elsewhere, it will be applied to the nearest node).

The other potential (Dirichlet) electrode source models that we will soon be providing support for will be arbitrarily located polygonal sources, curvilinear sources, and point sources. To support each of these, we will be adding mesh refinement methods that include the electrode's faces, edges, and points within the mesh, respectively.

The "patch electrode" model that we used to support is no longer working, and will be retired when these new source models are added. In the mean time, I would strongly recommend sticking to the dipole and node potential sources.

Cheers,
Dave