Re: [SCIRUN-USERS] scirun5 with tests

  • From: Dan White <dwhite@sci.utah.edu>
  • To: Petar Petrov <pip010@gmail.com>, scirun-users@sci.utah.edu
  • Cc: Ayla Khan <ayla@sci.utah.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [SCIRUN-USERS] scirun5 with tests
  • Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2014 10:30:50 -0600

Upgrading to Qt 5 is on our todo list, but we're only vaguely aware of OpenGL-related changes made from 4.x that may affect our codebase substantially. Since our graphics dev just left, and a new one starts next week, this task is in flux. But if you have any experience on the Qt/OpenGL front that would be helpful. We're thinking it may affect Windows and Mac more than Linux.

As for module porting, it's a painstaking procedure to "upgrade" each module. Probably the best way to learn is to start with diffing v4 and v5 versions of the same module, and just follow the commits as I convert them--they usually go in the same pattern. So far I've only trained one other post-doc how to do it, and it took about a month of sporadic explanations/Q&A. So if you're up for it, it's a pretty high hurdle, but once surmounted, it's pretty straightforward. And we have a big training class in a couple weeks so I will be slower to answer questions, but after 7/24 I'll be more available.

Thanks,
Dan