Re: [SCIRUN-USERS] scirun5 with tests

  • From: Petar Petrov <pip010@gmail.com>
  • To: Dan White <dwhite@sci.utah.edu>
  • Cc: "scirun-users@sci.utah.edu" <scirun-users@sci.utah.edu>, Ayla Khan <ayla@sci.utah.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [SCIRUN-USERS] scirun5 with tests
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2014 22:38:08 +0200

On Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 6:30 PM, Dan White <dwhite@sci.utah.edu> wrote:
> Upgrading to Qt 5 is on our todo list, but we're only vaguely aware of
> OpenGL-related changes made from 4.x that may affect our codebase
> substantially. Since our graphics dev just left, and a new one starts next
> week, this task is in flux. But if you have any experience on the Qt/OpenGL
> front that would be helpful. We're thinking it may affect Windows and Mac
> more than Linux.
I am part of a commercial windows project. Currently migrating from
KKWidgets to Qt.
I had some troubles building latest VTK6.1 with Qt 4.8.x but I was
successful with Qt5.x-opengl.
Still in the very beginning but need to make the call soon whether to
go this way.

> As for module porting, it's a painstaking procedure to "upgrade" each
> module. Probably the best way to learn is to start with diffing v4 and v5
> versions of the same module, and just follow the commits as I convert
> them--they usually go in the same pattern. So far I've only trained one
> other post-doc how to do it, and it took about a month of sporadic
> explanations/Q&A. So if you're up for it, it's a pretty high hurdle, but
> once surmounted, it's pretty straightforward. And we have a big training
> class in a couple weeks so I will be slower to answer questions, but after
> 7/24 I'll be more available.

the codebase of scirun4 is one of the finest I have seen !!!

still not aware of more level routines, since you do have quite soe
custom otherwise standart c++std, like threads, but:
i got already two modules implemented myself in scirun4. solving
biot-svart for TMS coil and another for creating predefined coil types
(geometry) co-planner only!
a 3rd one is in a cooking oven, about executing external processes
using http://pstreams.sourceforge.net/
one thing I hate though is TCL/TK and not because of scirun but
KWWidgets and thus looking forward to working with Qt !!!

anyway I will look around and/or maybe compile some list for myself meanwhile.

--
All the best,
Petar Petrov