Re: [SCIRUN-USERS] Forward ECG Problem

  • From: Matthias Lange <m.lange@sheffield.ac.uk>
  • To: Brett Burton <bburton@sci.utah.edu>
  • Cc: Alejandro Frangi <a.frangi@sheffield.ac.uk>, scirun-users@sci.utah.edu
  • Subject: Re: [SCIRUN-USERS] Forward ECG Problem
  • Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2016 22:18:51 +0100

Hi Brett
Thanks for your explanation, your solution worked for me. I didn't realised, that the segmentation was used as a mesh, or that a field is a mesh.

Best
Matthias

On 31 March 2016 at 23:06, Brett Burton <bburton@sci.utah.edu> wrote:
Matthias,

It wouldn't make sense for you to convert your mesh into a segmentation as long as your mesh is label mapped.  In the example network, the segmentation is essentially being used as a mesh anyway, so I'll see what I can do to explain how to alter the network so that you can incorporate your mesh file into it (assuming you are using the forward_problem network in the potential-based-fem directory of the toolkit).  Because this is going to the scirun user's list as well, I'm making this answer very descriptive (perhaps too descriptive).

In the network, the left most modules are:

1) ReadField -> 2) CreateLatVol
|-> 3) MapFieldDataOntoElements -> 4) ClipFieldByFunction -> 5) ClipFieldByFunction
      |-> 6) GetDomainBoundary

Here's what those fields are doing:
1) ReadField Reads in the segmentation
2) CreateLatVol Creates a volume that is 100x100x60 that will be used to reduce the total volume of the original nrrd (492x306x127)
3) MapFieldDataOntoElements Maps the original segmentation labels onto the lower resolution volume (this is a trick to reduce resolution of the original file so that it is manageable on smaller computers)
4) ClipFieldByFunction Clips the air label away from the rest of the torso
5) ClipFieldByFunction Clips the heart label out of the torso - so all you are left with is the torso (and all of its labels) with a hole where the heart used to be.  Technically, the two ClipFieldByFunction modules could be combined.
6) GetDomainBoundary Extracts the surface of the heart geometry (this will act as your epicardial potential source)

If you already have a labeled mesh, you could use a similar structure to pull the same information from your mesh, like this:

a) ReadField -> b) ClipFieldByFunction
|-> c) ClipFieldByFunction -> d) GetFieldBoundary

a) ReadField Read in your mesh
b) ClipFieldByFunction Remove the heart from your mesh (air too if you have it) by using, in the UI: DATA != #; // (label value of the heart)
b) ClipFieldByFunction Clip the heart out of your mesh to use as a source.  This time use DATA == #; // (label value of the heart)
d) GetFieldBoundary Extract the epicardial surface…you will be mapping your epicardial recordings onto this mesh (this replaces the GetDomainBoundary module from the example net)

Let me know if you still need an example network.

Brett Burton

PhD Candidate in Bioengineering | University of Utah