Re: [SCIRUN-USERS] Liver Modeling from CT Scans

  • From: Rob MacLeod <macleod@sci.utah.edu>
  • To: "Medford, Shawn" <Shawn.Medford@childrens.harvard.edu>
  • Cc: Rob MacLeod <macleod@sci.utah.edu>, "scirun-users@sci.utah.edu" <scirun-users@sci.utah.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [SCIRUN-USERS] Liver Modeling from CT Scans
  • Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2016 12:39:16 -0700

HI Shawn,

Yes, we have experience in making anatomical models from images and have tools to enable these steps.   Liver will be a new wrinkle but just a wrinkle. Our previous focus has been on hearts and brain but we have seen the tools used for a wide range of structures and applications.

The main tool for the first steps is Seg3D and if you have not already, please download that and get linked to the associated mailing list.

There are tutorials and documentation to help get you started.

We also teach a well reviewed course each summer in order to train users in both the background and the tools for image based modeling and encourage you to consider coming, for sending people, to the course.  It will run again in 2017 and will also have fellowships for young PhD students and post docs.  The web site will update soon for the 2017 edition but you can already read a great deal about the course at

Finally, you should touch base with John Triedman, one of your colleagues in Pediatric Cardiology, if you have not already. We have a long and productive track record together and he also has a lot or related knowledge about us and the people and tools here.

Finally, feel free to contact me directly for some more specific information.

Best,
Rob

Rob MacLeod, PhD
Professor of Bioengineering and Internal Medicine
University of Utah
Scientific Computing and Imaging (SCI) Institute
Comprehensive Arrhythmia Research and MAnagement (CARMA)
Cardiovascular Research and Training Institute (CVRTI)
72 South Central Campus Drive
Salt Lake City, Utah 84112