[Seg3D] Re: doing something to a data volume

  • From: Ramón Casero Cañas <ramon.casero@comlab.ox.ac.uk>
  • To: seg3d@sci.utah.edu
  • Cc: Rob MacLeod <macleod@cvrti.utah.edu>
  • Subject: [Seg3D] Re: doing something to a data volume
  • Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 16:50:59 +0100

Rob MacLeod wrote:
Dear Ramon and others interested in developing Seg3D,

It is time to unveil some plans we have been formulating within the development team here at SCI regarding Seg3D.

Dear Rob,

Thank you very much for your explanation. Please see some comments
interspersed below.

many users. This process has been moving along over the past few months and we hope to have a fairly concrete outline and assignment of tasks in the next 1-2 weeks. At that point, we will begin to write a new version of Seg3D.

Thanks for the heads up. I cannot remember whether somebody told me
before, or I read it somewhere in the wiki, but actually I was aware
that Seg3D's architecture is going to change soon. ;)

Unfortunately, my current project is finishing soon, so I cannot wait for a few weeks until there's a working new version :( That's why I'm trying to make do with what is available now.

Right now, all I need to do is build something like the Polyline Tool,
but using a spline, and instead of getting a 2D projection of the
spline, get the intersection of the spline with each plane.

So I'm looking at the existing tools to get an idea on how to create
this new Spline Tool. Hopefully, it will be easy to port to the new
version once it works.

So now you know it (-: We will continue to send out information as things move along and we certainly welcome suggestions for features and capabilities that would make your work with Seg3D more productive.

May I make a suggestion, then? What about creating a Seg3D dev mailing
list, and discussing plans, technical issues, etc, there?

An open source project is generally understood to be an open source
licence + open development :)

Discussions that are not public are invisible to the project's
community, and this becomes a very tough hurdle for people who are not
in Utah (in this case) to contribute to or even be aware of what's going
on. Personal emails to developers (as advised in the wiki), have a
similar negative effect. :-/

From the outside, and just looking at the Seg3D users mailing list, it kind of looks as if the Seg3D project is asleep, while from what you say, it's been very active.

I know at the beginning it looks silly to email somebody who is sitting next to you, but many successful open projects discuss thing publicly: The Apache Software Foundation projects, linux, debian, ITK, etc.

Let me pinpoint two problems (in my opinion):

First, the lack of visibility of the mailing list archives. Searching google for "Seg3D mailing list archives" only shows 1 result, a link that was in my old wiki. I have a link in my new wiki, but Google doesn't show it.

http://paracommunications.org/wiki/index.php/Doc

But in any case, wouldn't it be cool to have a link from the Seg3D website, e.g. in the page for mailing lists?

http://www.sci.utah.edu/lists

Second, I had a similar problem with the wiki. In the end, I ended up duplicating the documentation in the official wiki because I could not find a way to easily contribute documentation to the project.

In the end, Utah retains committer permissions, so by opening up, you
are not going to hurt the project. You don't lose control over it either. But by opening up you help the community develop and contribute.

Best regards,

Ramon.

--
Ramón Casero Cañas, DPhil

Computational Biology, Computing Laboratory
University of Oxford
Wolfson Building, Parks Rd
Oxford OX1 3QD

tlf     +44 (0) 1865 610807