[Seg3D] seg 3d memory issues

  • From: "Barbir,Ana" <Ana.Barbir@colostate.edu>
  • To: "seg3d@sci.utah.edu" <seg3d@sci.utah.edu>
  • Subject: [Seg3D] seg 3d memory issues
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 21:18:52 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

Hello,
I was hoping someone might have some insight into this issue. A few month ago I downloaded Seg 3D (the newest version, 2.1.4) and when I start using most tools, it works fine (memory usage around 140M). However as soon as I start using the paint brush tool, the memory usage goes above 1G, and as I keep using it, it just keeps increasing, eventually going up to 7G at which point windows tells me to close the application. I use Windows 7 64 bit (8GB RAM) and when I installed it it was a brand new machine.

This is not an isolated incident, this happens every time I use it. I have tried installing version 2.1.1. since that is what our collaborators use without any issues (on the same data sets) but it still does the same thing. The only trick I have discovered is to not close it when it reaches 7M and gives me the warning. It then slowly goes down to a normal value of ~140M, and I can from that point use paintbrush tool on any files I like without problem. The only annoying this is that every time I restart the system, I have to go through this whole long process, wait for it to crash, wait for the memory to reach normal levels and then start working.

I have also tried just waiting for the memory usage to go down before the warning, but it does not, and it becomes pretty slow to use. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Ana

Ana Barbir
Postdoctoral Researcher

Orthopaedic Research Center
College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO