Re: [Seg3D] Segmentation of 0.03mm perineurium

  • From: Jess Tate <jess@sci.utah.edu>
  • To: seg3d@sci.utah.edu
  • Subject: Re: [Seg3D] Segmentation of 0.03mm perineurium
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 11:01:46 -0700

Hi Purbasha,

It's tricky to do these kinds of things on a grid, but you can get a uniform
layer around a segmented region by using the dilate and erode filter to
dilate the volume the desired thickness, then subtracting the original
volume. this is dependent on the grid and if it not isotropically spaced,
the new layer will not be uniform. You can use the resampling tool to
change the spacing to whatever you'd like. the resampling would also allow
you achieve a dilated distance closer to your target distance. However,
there will always be problems on the diagonal regions because of the grid
sampling.

If you wanted a more precise outer surface, you could do some manipulation of
the surfaces instead of the segmentation. You would need to generate good
surfaces with cleaver or biomesh, then you can scale the surface to create
two concentric surfaces. If you plan on making tet meshes, this is probably
the better way to do it as most meshing software has trouble with thin
regions like that layer would be.

cheers,
Jess