Re: [Seg3D] label count vs label volume

  • From: Jess Tate <jess@sci.utah.edu>
  • To: seg3d@sci.utah.edu
  • Cc: Hirabayash@kennedykrieger.org
  • Subject: Re: [Seg3D] label count vs label volume
  • Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2016 09:39:13 -0700

Hi Katie,

I don’t see “label count”, but I assume it is the same as the “pixels” value
in my build, which is the number of non-zero pixels in the mask layer. The
Volume measurement is the volume of the labeled parts of the mask layer.
because the masked pixels are uniform size and shape(hexahedral), the volume
of the mask layer is the product of the number of pixels and the volume of
each pixel. The volume of the pixel is determined by the spacing (the
product of the three values), so if the spacing is (1,1,1) or another
combination that yields a volume of 1, the the number of pixels and the
volume will be identical. Otherwise they will vary depending on the volume
of each pixel.

cheers,
Jess