Re: [Seg3D] Fwd: Poisson noise and 'black' background removal

  • From: Jess Tate <jess@sci.utah.edu>
  • To: "seg3d@sci.utah.edu" <seg3d@sci.utah.edu>
  • Cc: mike.meyer.geo@gmail.com
  • Subject: Re: [Seg3D] Fwd: Poisson noise and 'black' background removal
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2016 11:52:43 -0600

Hi Mike,

The first question you have about removing the background from the 3D view isn’t really possible as I understand what you are asking.  You can remove the slices from the 3D view, and show only the isosurface (An isosurface of this data would be easy to make).  If you have more than one layer, you could play with the opacity to show layers underneath.  Another option is to try the volume rendering (or use the volume rendering in ImageVis3D).  check out the Basic functionality document (search for volume rendering) linked here:

as for your second question, there are a number of filters for smoothing and noise removal.  There is a gaussian blur filter in the Data filters menu, for example.  This noise looks similar to the noise we see in CT scans of the torso, which I usually use the median filter, or curvature anisotropy diffusion filter (in the advanced filter menu) to reduce.  The previously mentioned document provides some descriptions of each of the filters.

cheers,
Jess