shapeworks-users

Text archives Help

Re: [shapeworks-users] ShapeWorks

  • From: manasi <manasi.datar@gmail.com>
  • To: Sangwoo Leem <sleem@uwo.ca>
  • Cc: shapeworks-users@sci.utah.edu
  • Subject: Re: [shapeworks-users] ShapeWorks
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2014 09:22:15 +0200

Hi Sangwoo

It is great that you were able to use ShapeWorks for your research. I hope it will be a useful tool for you.

An incorrect mean shape could result from two problems: incorrect correspondences or reconstruction issues.
I presume you are able to use the ShapeWorksView tool to look at individual shapes reconstructed from the point correspondences. Would you please check if the correspondences match across shapes? An easy, visual test would be to flip through individual shapes and see if similarly colored particles and their neighborhoods stay constant across shapes.

If you have good correspondences, the problem lies with the reconstruction of the mean shape. ShapeWorks natively uses the reconstruction filter from VTK and sometimes requires tuning of the two parameters (neighborhood size and smoothing) to get a good reconstruction of the mean shape. In the past, I have used other reconstruction methods (e.g. powercrust) to get better-looking mean shapes. Perhaps you could look that up...

HTH
Regards
manasi

विज्ञान प्रचिति, गुरू प्रचिति, आत्म प्रचिति
translation: understand the science, learn from the teacher, assimilate for yourself :)