cleaver software mailing list

Text archives Help

[Cleaver] Re:

  • From: Joshua Levine <jlevine@sci.utah.edu>
  • To: Ricardo Ortiz <ricardo.ortiz@kitware.com>
  • Cc: "cleaver@sci.utah.edu" <cleaver@sci.utah.edu>
  • Subject: [Cleaver] Re:
  • Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2013 09:11:54 -0400

Ricardo,

I'd like to get a confirmation from Jonathan Bronson on a few of these points, but here's what I understand.

(1) Padding is needed because there are "material transitions near the boundary" --- this essentially means that Cleaver is trying to create a triple junction (a place where 3 materials meet), but since it's near the boundary we force it to be "interior" by padding.

(2) If your labels are discrete values, not smooth like the frog data, this will create blocky surface meshes.  When I run on your data I do see this.  It may also be the cause of the large number of "Failed to project triple back into 3D" messages -- Jonathan, can you test and confirm?

To answer your earlier question -- padding is literally just that we pad the volume dataset with some extra data on the boundaries, forcing things to be interior.

When I say distance fields, I don't mean padded, but rather that the data contained within is something like "distance to the material surface".  It doesn't have to quite be true distance.  In fact, what we think of each field as is a "material indicator function".  The idea is that at each volume we compare the values of all fields, and based on which is the minimum we can declare that voxel to be of that material type.  In locations where two indicator functions are equal, then there is a surface lying between two materials.

When you pad, we try to be a little intelligent and give you an outlier bounding box to show where the padding happened.  In fact, if you run the frog dataset with the same padding, you get the same box.

Regards,
Josh