iv3d-users

Text archives Help

Re: [IV3D-USERS] Documentation for UVF

  • From: tom fogal < >
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [IV3D-USERS] Documentation for UVF
  • Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2019 10:10:27 -0700

Hi Liam,

On 4/5/19 9:34 AM, Liam M. Healy wrote:
I have a regular grid of Cartesian x, y, z values on which is
defined a set of values that I want to plot. I have read this write-up
https://github.com/SCIInstitute/ImageVis3D/blob/master/doc/import.adoc,
and I'm lost in a sea of possibilities.

I think a .nhdr is easiest. You won't have to change anything, just write another secondary file of metadata. I attached a couple examples that should help you get started; for more details see:

http://teem.sourceforge.net/nrrd/format.html

You can then import it as normal, or use the command line 'uvfconvert' to convert on the command line. If you're generating this data from a simulation, it might be valuable to invoke uvfconvert after 'mpirun', i.e. as part of your batch job. Conversion benefits from large amounts of available memory.

In fact I would just write the program to generate a UVF directly,
but since I don't know what that format is, I can't do that.

The format itself is probably not for the faint of heart: it's an ordered(ish) collection of regular sub-volumes, each with their own ghost data ("halo cells" in some domains), in addition to some indexing structures, so it would be hard to generate directly from your simulation.

> It sounds like the "raw data converter" you mention is helpful;
> where can I get it and information on it?

The raw converter will pop up anytime the interactive (non-script-mode) IV3D does not recognize the type of input file it is given. It's really just a dialog that specifies the kind of metadata in a .nhdr.

HTH,
-tom

On Fri, Apr 5, 2019 at 12:28 AM tom fogal
< >
wrote:

Hi Liam, sorry for the slow response!

As you've found, that paper is now quite out of date.

Unfortunately, there is not a great route to import hdf5 data at this
time. In the past, I have used h5dump to dump the raw data, and then
used the raw data converter to import this into ImageVis3D. If you want
to script it, it is not too hard to write a .nhdr from a shell script
that references the raw data that h5dump produces.

HTH,
-tom