Manta Interactive Ray Tracer Development Mailing List

Text archives Help

Re: [MANTA] Re: Problems compiling Manta on the SGI Prism

  • From: Abe Stephens <abe@sci.utah.edu>
  • To: Shreekanth Pavar <shreekanth.pavar@ucl.ac.uk>
  • Cc: manta@sci.utah.edu, Steven Manos <s.manos@ucl.ac.uk>
  • Subject: Re: [MANTA] Re: Problems compiling Manta on the SGI Prism
  • Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 15:22:55 -0700

Shreekanth Pavar wrote:
If you are able to build 'right out of the box' then it probably worth us
synching our installed packages with yours (to avoid the above mess) so I will
see if we can install fglrx-4.3.0-sgi304r1.2.9.1 here also. Can you confirm if
you are using both headers and libraries from this package ?
I'd be a little apprehensive about changing one package version, since presumably other packages in the system will depend on it. Especially since your fgl version appears to be newer than ours and might support the extensions...

Here's how our system is setup:

$ ls -l /usr/lib/libGL.so
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           31 Jan 31  2005 /usr/lib/libGL.so -> /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1.2.vsl
$ rpm -qf /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1.2.vsl
fglrx-4.3.0-sgi304r1.2.9.1
$ rpm -qf /usr/include/GL/gl.h
XFree86-devel-4.3.0-78.ELsgi304r2

So the headers are supplied by X, and the library libGL.so is symlinked to a file provided by fglrx. We don't have the mesa devel packages installed on the prism.

If this isn't feasible (or doesn't solve the problem) then I will make changes
to the preprocessor logic as you suggested.
Try making the change first and see if it works. It's a simple change on a few lines and of course you can always "svn revert".

There are a few different possibilities:
  1. The extensions are present (check with glxinfo / fglrxinfo), but the correct library isn't used by the linker (check symlink setup).
  2. The extensions aren't present but the header symbol is defined to zero instead of being undefined. (Problem with code.)
  3. The extensions aren't present but the header symbol is defined to one so the code compiles and then the linker fails. (Problem with header or code, depending on how you look at it.)
Abe