Manta Interactive Ray Tracer Development Mailing List

Text archives Help

[Manta] Re: manta flexibility

  • From: Thiago Ize < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [Manta] Re: manta flexibility
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 11:15:33 -0600

Off the top of my head, Manta has a simple (brute force) path tracer, it can do soft shadows (outside of the path tracer as well), and also ambient occlusion. And of course if it doesn't have something you can add it. I am not aware of Manta currently having bidirectional path tracing, metropolis light transport, photon mapping, or any of the other fancy GI stuff.

Thiago

David E DeMarle wrote:
" type="cite">Howdy all,

I am trying to write an article for the KW Source about Ollie's vtkManta work.

I want to make the point that Manta is flexible so that I can make a compelling case for future work about doing more than rendering of meshes with it, and to support a claim that it can be made to render very realistically.

I know Manta can do lots of primitive types, can do volume rendering, isosurface rendering, and so forth.

I would appreciate some clarification on to what extent it can do high quality rendering (Galileo?/Precomputed Global Illumination?,Soft Shadows?) and rendering of general implicit functions (mandelbub challenge) directly.

thanks,

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
R&D Engineer