[SCIRUN-USERS] Educational use of SCIRun?

  • From: Thomas Schultz <schultz@cs.uni-bonn.de>
  • To: scirun-users@sci.utah.edu
  • Subject: [SCIRUN-USERS] Educational use of SCIRun?
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 12:45:30 +0200

Dear SCIRun users,

I'm considering if I can use SCIRun as a framework for the practical assignments as part of a SciVis class and I am wondering if anyone has experience with this.

I expect that my students will be able to download and use SCIRun, but I would also like to have them do some C++ programming, which I guess would amount to adding new modules to SCIRun, or filling in missing parts in code that I would give them. Currently, we make them program individual standalone VTK-based programs, and have them use paraview to quickly achieve standard visualizations.

I just tried compiling SCIRun from sources, but it failed due to a lack of threading support in boost, which in turn seems to be due to my system having a too recent version of g++. Do you see any chance that my students would be able to compile SCIRun on their Windows/Linux/MacOS laptops without too much hassle, or is there a chance to compile and add modules without having to recompile SCIRun and all its dependencies? Would you recommend any other visualization package for this type of use?

Thanks /Thomas