[SCIRUN-USERS] Re: Educational use of SCIRun?

  • From: Ayla Khan <ayla@sci.utah.edu>
  • To: Thomas Schultz <schultz@cs.uni-bonn.de>
  • Cc: scirun-users@sci.utah.edu
  • Subject: [SCIRUN-USERS] Re: Educational use of SCIRun?
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 22:17:27 -0600

Hi Thomas,

SCIRun has been used as part of a Scientific Computing course here at the University of Utah. This is the link to the assignment that featured SCIRun. Building SCIRun is straightforward on *nix platforms because we supply a build script. Building on Windows will be more involved since a Visual Studio project needs to be generated using CMake. The SCIRun website has some notes for the Windows build under the Developer Documentation tab. SCIRun does have to be recompiled when new modules are added.

This a link to a basic module development tutorial. Depending your students' programming capabilities, a reasonable programming assignment using SCIRun would be to find a module with functionality that you want to have implemented and remove the algorithm code. This way, your students don't have to implement a Tcl/Tk GUI - more feature-rich GUIs can be tricky to implement.

The latest SCIRun 4.7 build, which you can download from the website, will build with G++ 4.7.

Is this enough to get you started?

Ayla