[SCIRUN-USERS] Re: Educational use of SCIRun?

  • From: Thomas Schultz <schultz@cs.uni-bonn.de>
  • To: Ayla Khan <ayla@sci.utah.edu>
  • Cc: scirun-users@sci.utah.edu
  • Subject: [SCIRUN-USERS] Re: Educational use of SCIRun?
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 14:25:00 +0200

Hi Ayla,

thank you for the very helpful link to the assignment sheet!

On Linux Mint 15, I did not manage to build SCIRun 4.6 even after downgrading to g++ 4.6 (there now was a different error within boost), but I did manage to build SCIRun 4.7. Given that our students use their personal laptops with a wide variety of operating systems and some of them have very limited programming experience, I'm afraid it won't be feasible to have them all compile SCIRun from scratch, despite the helpful build script.

This means that I still want to replace paraview with SCIRun, but the C++ programming assignments will remain in their separate VTK-based frameworks for now. This in turn means that it should be easy to exchange data between VTK and SCIRun. Are there any import modules for XML-based VTK file formats (e.g., vti) that I may have failed to find?

Thank you /Thomas