Re: [SCIRUN-USERS] Biomesh3D resulting mesh shifted

  • From: Brett Burton <bburton@sci.utah.edu>
  • To: Petar Petrov <pip010@gmail.com>
  • Cc: Hon Fai Choi <honfai.choi@gmail.com>, Jess Tate <jess@sci.utah.edu>, "scirun-users@sci.utah.edu" <scirun-users@sci.utah.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [SCIRUN-USERS] Biomesh3D resulting mesh shifted
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2014 18:19:33 -0600

The blockiness of the Cleaver mesh is actually the reason that I use BioMesh
and Cleaver together. BioMesh can create those smooth, tight surfaces that
look more realistic. These tight surfaces can then be read into cleaver. If
you are using the api version of Cleaver, you cannot control the sizing field
information, but the GUI version (which has not officially been released yet
- give it a few weeks) allows for the sizing fields. So, even though its a
little more manual labor, it gets the best of both worlds. Smooth surfaces
and quick mesh generation with a structured grid work.

Also, Cleaver meshes generally produce meshes with more consistent angles
than BioMesh. Element optimization in BioMesh relies on a Delaunay
triangulation, while Cleaver splits hexahedra to fit the background indicator
functions with a constraint on how small the smallest angle can be.

Brett