[Seg3D] Large Dataset on Windows 8

  • From: anastasios.marmaras@uzh.ch
  • To: seg3d@sci.utah.edu
  • Subject: [Seg3D] Large Dataset on Windows 8
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 10:23:37 +0200

Hello,

I would like to start by saying that i recently found out about all the work you have been doing and have to say that i am very impressed. ImageVis3D and Seg3D are both great programs.

Onto what seems to be a bug report:

I have tried to load a 66 GB dataset onto Seg3D (v2.1.4). This was on a Windows 8 system with 256 GB of ram. To be more precise i tried to import a a stack of tiffs as a single layer data volume. The import process crashed. As a matter of fact it always crashes as soon as the memory used by Seg3D reaches about 6.5 GB. Could it be that there is some incompatibility with Windows 8 that causes that ? In any case i just wanted to report the behavior. Also, i would be very happy to investigate further if you would like me to.

On a similar note, i would also like to ask whether Seg3D already supports (or there is plan to support) working with virtual volumes, i.e. volumes too large to fit in memory which will instead be directly worked on the hard drive. (terribly slow, but in certain cases unavoidable). Just wondering whether something like that is supported or planned for Seg3D.

best regards,
Anastasios

--

University of Zurich