[Seg3D] Re: Re: loss of functionality? export segmentation to MetaImage format

  • From: Ramón Casero Cañas <ramon.casero@comlab.ox.ac.uk>
  • To: seg3d@sci.utah.edu
  • Subject: [Seg3D] Re: Re: loss of functionality? export segmentation to MetaImage format
  • Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 14:28:39 +0100

Kristen Zygmunt wrote:
Hello,
Seg3D file saving has been cleaned up in this version. In older versions, you could select a file type to save as or export to, but if you did not manually put on the correct extension, you could not read that file back in with Seg3D. Now, when you select a particular file type, Seg3D will ensure the proper extension exists.

When I changed this behavior, I used the existing file extension selection choices from earlier Seg3D versions and left the default selection as NRRD format. However, you can be still save any file type by selecting the All files (*.*) choice and then adding whichever file extension you like including .mha .

Would it make sense to change the default file type to All files instead of NRRD to more closely match the previous behavior? I can also make the file choices match those available in the Load Volume dialog so that it is more clear that this file type is supported.

Please let me know if you are still unable to export in a particular file format.

Hi Kristen,

Thanks for your reply. It worked, following your advice. :)

In my opinion, it's useful to show all the formats in the drop-down menu, because otherwise the user may get confused.

For instance, Gimp, the image editor, does that. By default, "All images" is the option presented.

If you give a name with a particular extension, the extension is checked. If the extension is not recognised, then you get an error dialog:

"The given filename does not have any known file extension. Please enter a known file extension or select a file format from the file format list".

The drop down menu presents a (rather long) list with all formats Gimp can save to.

As I'm trying to learn a bit more about Seg3D (and see whether I can finally add my own filter :) ), I'd also like to ask, if it's not too much trouble, where is this from an architectural point of view? I mean, where is the menu item created, and how can file formats be added?

Best regards,

Ramon.

--
Ramón Casero Cañas, DPhil

Computational Biology, Computing Laboratory
University of Oxford
Wolfson Building, Parks Rd
Oxford OX1 3QD

tlf     +44 (0) 1865 610807