[Seg3D] what's Painter::set_status for?

  • From: Ramón Casero Cañas <ramon.casero@comlab.ox.ac.uk>
  • To: seg3d@sci.utah.edu
  • Subject: [Seg3D] what's Painter::set_status for?
  • Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 13:14:27 +0100

Hi all,

As I read through the code, it is a bit difficult to figure out what many functions do, sometimes where they are declared/defined, etc. Please don't take this badly, but there aren't many comments to help, or much developer documentation.

For example, with the Brush Tool, it took a while to figure out that BrushTool::draw_gl is used to draw the circle that tells you where the brush tip is.

Or with the Crop Tool, that the way the crop is actually done is by sending a FinishEvent with the Start button. The event then gets propagated up to CropTool::finish(). It is in finish() where the "Crop" (start button) functionality is implemented.

I am trying to document the event process,

http://paracommunications.org/wiki/index.php/Adding_a_new_filter_to_Seg3D#Diagram_of_the_Seg3D_tool_signal.2Fevent_system

But I just realised that things work differently depending on whether one needs to get a value from the GUI (e.g. from a spin box) or not, so I will make a new diagram for the latter case.

One of the functions that has me puzzled is Painter::set_status. What is it for? I'd say it is maybe for some kind of log file for debugging, but I haven't been able to find said file (I generated a status message, and then grepped for it in the whole tree). This function is declared in Painter.h and defined in PainterSignalTargets.cc.

On a related note, are there any plans to write some kind of documentation, e.g. using doxygen?

Cheers,

Ramon.

--
Ramón Casero Cañas, DPhil

Computational Biology, Computing Laboratory
University of Oxford
Wolfson Building, Parks Rd
Oxford OX1 3QD

tlf     +44 (0) 1865 610807